Water Directions 2013
When heading downstream (toward the dam), odd-numbered (green) channel markers will be on the right, and even-numbered (red) markers will be on the left. When heading upstream, the opposite will be true. Lower-numbered markers are nearer the dam. Channel markers do not indicate distance to the dam or to one another, but rather channel boundaries. It is prudent to stay well clear of all markers, especially if water is low at the time of the Tour. Watch for floating debris, especially if there has been a rainstorm in the last few days. A lake map is very useful, but maps can and do contain errors. Unless otherwise directed, keep to the right side of river channels. There will be orange flags at each dock in use. At some homes more than one dock may be in use; at others, dock space may be limited, and boaters may have to wait their turn to tie up. DO NOT USE ANY DOCK WHICH HAS NO ONE AVAILABLE TO HELP WITH DOCKING.. GPS coordinates are given for each home’s dock. Starting point is the Halesford Bridge; the first two docks are upstream; remaining docks are downstream of the bridge. The last 3 docks are in Bedford County; all others are in Franklin County. Homes are listed with their numbers from the on-land tour, not their best sequence for the by-water tour. Times shown are times from one dock to another on week day with calm water and minimal boat traffic. Running time on Tour days will be somewhat longer, depending on conditions. Use extra care if transporting disabled or elderly persons by water. Homes are NOT handicap accessible. .
6. Layton Home. Starting at the bridge, head upstream. After you pass marker R37A, look on the left for beige home with green trim and two retaining walls. If you reach marker R39, you have gone about ¼ mile too far. (12 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 9.795N, 79 deg. 42.725W.
5. Nocera Home. Return to main channel and turn Right. After you pass marker R31, look for yellow house at entrance to small cove on right side of river, just before river makes a left turn. Home has porches on upper and lower levels and yellow kayaks on dock. (8 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 8.85N, 79 deg. 79.413W. STEEP STEPS FROM DOCK TO HOUSE; FIVE STEPS HAVE NO HANDRAIL.
1. Smith Home. Return to main channel and turn Right. Pass under bridge. Enter cove on right side of river, after you pass marker R27A. Home is on far side of cove, and has stone chimney with 2 ceramic chimneys on top; dock has flag and eagle vane. (11 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 7.70N, 79 deg 39.548W.
8. McKown Home. Return to main channel and turn Right. After you pass marker R25, proceed straight ahead, passing 2 large and 1 small coves, to home, on right. If you pass marker R21A, you have gone too far. (8 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 5.416N, 79 deg. 37.793W.
7. Clark Home. Return to main channel and turn Right, then proceed through “S” curve. After passing marker R16 (on your left as you leave the “S” curve), cross diagonally toward the Boardwalk on the opposite shore. Keep area of multiple shoal markers to your right. Home is the first home to the right of gray condos at The Boardwalk, with vacant lot on the downriver side. (6 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 5.065N, 79 deg. 37.424W.
6. Herbert Home. Return to main channel; keep to left of marker R11, but to right of nearby shoal markers. After you are safely past R11, cross toward left side of the river. After you pass marker R8 (on your left), angle Left (toward the dam). Keep markers R6, R4, and R2 to your left. Make a ½ Left turn only after passing marker R2 (there is shallow water between the several islands on left before marker R2). Proceed straight ahead into Witcher Creek, heading toward marker W1. Keep W1 to your left as you pass it; then follow left shoreline into large cove on your left, passing entrance to first small cove (inside the large cove) on left and entering larger cove just beyond it. Look for 2d home (tan-colored) on left. (13 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 3.603N, 79 deg. 32.585W.
3. Hall Home. Return to marker R2. Keeping marker R2 to your right, turn Right into Craddock Creek. Pass small and large lighthouses on right and markers C2A and C4 as you proceed upstream. There are numerous shoal makers in the vicinity of the two lighthouses; keep them to your right. As you pass marker C4, you will see Mariner's Landing high-rise condos ahead. Proceed to common dock at these condos. Tie up where indicated by attendants; shuttle service will be provided to home, from rest room area. (12 minutes to marina). GPS 37 deg. 9.40N, 79 deg. 34.017 W.
2. Foster Home. Head downstream to marker C3A and turn Right. Proceed straight ahead along right-hand shoreline to red home with tan stone lower level. (8 minutes). GPS 37 deg. 4.021N, 79 deg.34.503W.
To return to starting point: Return to main channel of river, making sure NOT to turn right into Roanoke River until you have passed markers C1 and R4 (staying to LEFT of both markers). Then turn Right and keep to left of markers R6 and R8. After marker R8, angle Right and proceed upstream on the Roanoke River. (25 minutes).