Smith Mountain Lake Charity Home Tour
Saturday, May 18, 2013
October 11, 12, & 13 2013 - Fri & Sat 10 AM to 5 PM - Sun Noon to 5 PM
2012 SML Charity Home Tour - Directions to Homes—By Water
Tour goers who are traveling by boat should steer well clear of points, shoals, islands, markers and any other potentially shallow areas and recognize that depths around docks will be shallower than normal. Use extra caution when climbing to and from from boats or floaters onto fixed docks and when using steps. Please carefully follow instructions provided by the volunteers who will be on the docks to assist guests.
DO NOT USE ANY DOCK WHICH HAS NO ONE WAITING TO HELP WITH DOCKING.
If heading downstream (toward the dam), odd-numbered (green) channel
markers will be on the right, and even-numbered (red) will be on the left.
(opposite is true heading upstream). Lower-numbered markers
are nearer to the dam. Marker numbers indicate channel sequence, not distance to the
dam or to one another. It is prudent to stay well clear of all markers, especially when water levels are low. A Lake Map is recommended but maps can and do contain errors. Unless otherwise directed, keep to the right side of the river channels. There will be an orange balloon and docking helpers at each dock in use. At some homes, more than one dock may be in use; at others, dock space may be limited and boaters may have
to wait their turn to tie up.
GPS coordinates are given for each dock. Starting point is marker R (for Roanoke River) 11A (opposite Carter Island and R12). Home numbers used here are based on best visiting sequence BY LAND, not water. Order here is a suggested route, but boaters may begin the Tour at whatever home best suits their preferred starting point.
4. Southall Home. Proceed downstream on the Roanoke River, turn right, and
into 1st cove past R11A. Pass through the No Wake buoys,
to 5th dock on the left (counting the dock on the point even with markers). Look for balloon and workers on the dock. NOTE: HOME HAS STEEP STAIRS FROM DOCK TO HOUSE AND NO HANDRAIL. GPS 37.058068N, 79.61538W
3. Simmers Home. Return to main channel and turn right to enter next cove on right. Look for third dock on right after you pass dock with red roof. GPS 37.061259N, 79.609294W
1. Gray Home. Return to main channel, and cross to opposite side of Roanoke River, angling slightly to starboard (right) as you go. Look for cove with
gray condos (The Waterways) at far end. Keep to right of small island as you
enter this cove, and stay to right side of the cove. Look for second dock on
the right. (Note: Additional docking may be available around the point on the front side of the Gray home. Follow instructions of workers at the dock). GPS 37.063423N, 79.591680W.
8. Lamendola Home. Return to main channel of Roanoke River and cross toward Bernard's Landing condos, entering the Blackwater River. Marker B1 will be far to your left. Proceed straight toward white house with whitish triangular metal roof in Water’s Edge (do not round markers B2, B4 & B6 of the Blackwater Channel). Before reaching this house, angle left (toward high-peaked mountain), and proceed along right side of river (Note: this is NOT the main Blackwater channel, but rather a spur of the river) to third cove on right. Turn right into cove just past house with flagpole and floating orange balls, and go to 2d dock on the right. GPS 37.019419N, 79.604866W
2. Ervin Home. Return to main channel of Blackwater River and head upriver, angling left toward B8. Christmas Tree Island will be on your left as you pass to the left of B6, B8 and B8A. Continue upstream, keeping to right side of river. Keep to left of small island prior to cove at B10, staying clear of island. DO NOT pass between this island and the land due to very shallow water at all times. Look for first dock to on the right after rounding this small island. GPS 37.050088N, 79.627815W.
7. Morrison Home. Return to main channel of Blackwater River and turn right to head upstream. Stay to left of 10A (located at small island) and proceed to opposite side of
RIVER. Pass to right of shoal marker, and turn left into cove just beyond. Look for 3d dock on right side of cove. NOTE: HOUSE HAS STEEP WALKWAY FROM DOCK TO HOUSE, WITH ONLY PARTIAL HANDRAIL. GPS 37.04654N, 79.650844W.
5. Lilly Home. Return to Blackwater River and turn left to head upriver. River makes sharp left turn at B19, and sharp right turn at B22. Turn right into 2d cove on right beyond B24, just beyond small chartreuse house. Look for first and second docks on right and follow instructions of dock workers. NOTE: STAIRS TO HOME DO NOT HAVE HANDRAILS. GPS 37.044485N, 79.681026W.
6. Nash Home. Return to Blackwater River and turn right to proceed upstream, following markers. River makes sharp left at B31A and 180-degree right at B34. Continue on well past 4H Center. Look for Admiral’s Landing community dock on left, which is the 7th dock on left after B45. GPS 37.052818N, 79.731804W.