2011 SML Charity Home Tour Fact Sheet
- Please click here to view the Home Tour Guide, which also provides directions to each home by land and water .
- Please click here to view a video about the Home Tour
- Tour Dates:
- Friday & Saturday, October 5 & 6, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 7, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Homes to Tour: 8 total, 6 in Franklin County and 2 in Bedford County. Home photos and descriptions are posted on this web site on Homes Page.
- Only tour in the nation where all homes can be reached by car or by boat. Some 1400 volunteers help stage the event each year.
- Tickets: $20 in advance, $25 on Home Tour weekend, will go on sale at the SML Visitor Center and numerous lake-area retailers beginning July 1. For details click on the Tickets Page.
- Charities: Each participating Charity receives an equal portion of the proceeds, which come from the sponsorships, patrons, and ticket sales. Participating charitable organizations qualify by delivering services to needy recipients in the Smith Mountain Lake area. In its 20 year history, the Tour has provided over $2.5 million to charity operations. Charities participating in 2012:
Bedford Hospice House
Bedford Pregnancy Center
CASA of Central Virginia
Helping Hands of Franklin County
Lake Christian Ministries
SML Good Neighbors
Southern Virginia Child Advocacy Center
STEP (Support To Eliminate Poverty)
- Conditions & Restrictions:
- Tour homes are open rain or shine
- No handicap access, though special parking for mobility-limited guests are available. Access from waterfront can sometimes require a steep climb, sometimes without railing.
- Tickets are valid all three days, one visit per person per home
- No food or beverages, pets, children under 12 no babies in arms/carriers allowed.
- No high heels.
- No cameras are allowed except for press people with badges
- Smith Mountain Lake: Over 500 miles of shoreline, 22,000 acres of water, hundreds of converging rivers, creeks and coves. Scenic shorelines ranging from gentle lakefront lawns to steep bluffs, breathtaking views of Smith Mountain and other surrounding peaks. More information at the Chamber of Commerce website, www.visitsmithmountainlake.com
- SML Fall Festival Weekend:
- Area businesses will welcome visitors with fall decorations, shopping and dining specials. See the Specials Page on this web site for a list of discounts and offers for Tour ticket holders.
- "A Hard Day's Night--the Band" will perform a Beatles Tribute concert at 8:00 pm on Saturday, October 8th. Home Tour ticket holders enjoy discounted admission of $17.
- Area Attractions within easy driving distance:
- Lodging: Motels and Condominiums:
- Bernard’s Landing (Condos) (540-721-8870)
- Blue Ridge Campground and Marina (Campsites, Wirtz) (540-721-3866)
- Comfort Inn (Motel, Rocky Mount) 540-489-4000
- Days Inn (Motel, Bedford) (540-586-8266)
- Eagle Roost Campground (Huddleston) (540-297-7381)
- Hampton Inn (Motel, Gretna) (434-656-9000)
- Lake Inn (Motel, Westlake Corner) 540-721-3383
- Mariner’s Landing (Condos, Huddleston) 540-297-3200
- Smith Mountain Dock & Lodge (Motel, Penhook) 540-927-5100
- Smith Mountain Lake State Park (Campsites & cabins, Huddleston) (800-933-7275)
- Westlake Waterfront Inn (Motel—on the water, Indian Point)
- Lodging: Property Management
- By The Lake Vacation Rentals (Diana Salyer) 540-719-0058
- CB Sales & Rentals (near Hales Ford Bridge; Jessica Bailey)
- East Lake Real Estate (Maureen Baker) 540-297-3200
- Homeaway, Inc. (near Westlake) 540-721-9915
- Lake Retreat Properties, Inc (Jeanette Childress) 540-297-6002
- Lake Shore Rentals (Todd Turner) 540-297-5610
- Long and Foster (Debbie Aliff) 866-395-2038; 719-0075
- Premier Vacation Rentals (Leslie Becker) 540-797-0460
- RSI Rentals (Rt. 122, Moneta; Tammy Schiemann)
- Smith Mountain Lake Vacation Rentals (Meg Spurrier)
- Stars and Bars Properties (Candy LaPerna) 540-297-3321
- Watermark Realty (near Westlake) 540-721-5253
- Contacts for Boat Rental:
- Bay Roc Marina (Hardy Rd. Bridge) 540-890-2194
- Bernard’s Boat Rentals (Bernard’s Landing/Scruggs Rd)
- Bridgewater Marina 540-721-1639
- Boats at Smith Mountain Lake (Hales Ford Bridge) 540-721-5363
- Captain’s Quarters (Hales Ford Bridge) 800-388-9984
- Parrot Cove Boat Rentals (Across from Visitors Center)
- Smith Mountain State Park Boat Rental (Huddleston) 540-297-3642
- SML Boat Rentals LLC (Huddleston) 297-2628
A more complete listing of SML Lodging, business services, restaurants, etc., is available in the SML Visitor's Guide. Contact SML Chamber of Commerce (www.visitSmithMountainLake.com or 540-721- 1203) for your copy